Prepare a 5% sour mash 2 days before brew day, and added to the mash.
A 2 1/2 decoction is employed. Water is treated with salts to 50ppm Ca. Sodium Bimet added to stop oxidation. Mix in 2.5 L/kg of grain.
1. 0.75kg of crushed grain is heated to 50C. All the flour mixed in. Raised to 68C and held for 30 mins.
2. This is added to rest of grain and water. Temperature levels out to around mid 40C. Hold for 30 mins.
3. Lift 25%. Raise to 70C for 20 mins, then boil for 5 mins. Add back to mash.
4. Temp will level out at 50C. Hold for 30 mins.
5. Lift 40% of mash, raise to 70C, hold for 30 mins, and boil for 5 mins.
6. Temp levels out at 68C, hold for an hour, then sparge.
Bottle slowly to try and reduce foaming.